Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup
30 minutes or fewer
- 1 medium onion, diced (1 ½ cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups cooked black beans, divided
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (2 ½ cups)
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. fresh oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. salt
- Diced red onion and green bell pepper for garnish
1. Sauté onion, bell peppers, and garlic in saucepan with a little water or vegetable broth over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Transfer to blender, and purée until smooth. Add 3 cups beans and 6 to 7 cups water; purée until mixture is consistency of thick soup.
2. Return mixture to saucepan, and add remaining beans, potatoes, vinegar, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Remove bay leaf. Garnish each serving with diced red onion and green bell pepper.