Award Winning Triple-Threat Coconut Cream Pie
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 slices
- One 9-inch pie shell
- 1 can (13½ ounces) coconut milk, shaken well
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sweetened shredded or flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream, well chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded or flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 ounce white chocolate, shaved (optional)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Roll out pastry onto parchment or wax paper. With a pastry brush, apply a thin coating of coconut milk to pastry. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon toasted coconut on top and lightly press into dough. Transfer dough into a 9-inch pie plate and form into pan. Prick bottom and sides with fork. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, mix together the remaining coconut milk, milk, vanilla extract, ⅓ cup sugar, and salt stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, cornstarch, remaining ⅓ cup sugar, until well combined.
- Return saucepan to stove and gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture to the liquid and simmer on medium heat stirring constantly with whisk until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and mixture is thickened (about 5-6 minutes).
- Remove from stove and stir in the coconut extract and butter and pour into prepared pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap; pressing plastic directly onto pie filling and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, beat the heavy whipping cream in a chilled bowl using an electric mixer on high until cream begins to thicken. Gradually add powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream cheese and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Remove plastic, top pie with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut and shaved chocolate.
Calories: 580 Fat: 41 g Carbs: 47 g Sugar: 29 g Sodium: 270 mg Fiber: 1gProtein: 5g Cholesterol: 190 mg